Our Attorneys Will Fight To Protect Your Rights

Photo of attorney Dunham's sons

When No One Will Take Your Medical Malpractice Case

On Behalf of | Sep 12, 2016 | Medical Malpractice

A study by Emory University in the journal Qualitative Sociology found that most attorneys turn away most of the medical malpractice cases that come to them simply because they won’t make them enough money. The study found this was true for about 75 percent of attorneys.

In fact, about 95 percent of people who were harmed due to medical malpractice may find it nearly impossible to obtain representation. Even cut-and-dry cases won’t attract an attorney unless the compensation is above $50,000. More than half of the attorneys surveyed said they wouldn’t take any case worth less than $250,000.

So if you do have a medical malpractice case, how can you make sure you’re doing everything you can to make it a solid case?

  • Don’t wait. Waiting to seek an attorney’s help can greatly affect your case, since evidence can be lost or compromised, and most cases have a statute of limitations.
  • Be open with your doctor. You need to be honest with your doctor about all your symptoms, no matter how mild or embarrassing. This is not the time to be brave. Be open with your doctor about everything that has changed since the accident so it can be properly documented. Don’t lie about symptoms just because you don’t think they are relevant. Let the doctors and attorneys decide what information matters.
  • Prepare. If you want a shot at winning your case, you need to show up prepared for doctor’s visits, attorney-client meetings, and doing all the necessary preparation for trial.
  • Follow your attorney’s advice. You are paying for a legal opinion, so take what your attorney says seriously.

Bouchillon, Crossan & Colburn can help you with all kinds of medical malpractice claims in West Virginia. If you or a loved one has been injured and is seeking a qualified personal injury attorney, contact our Huntington, West Virginia office to speak with an attorney about your case, or call 304-521-4636.