Our Attorneys Will Fight To Protect Your Rights

Photo of attorney Dunham's sons

What Kind of Expert is Needed for a Medical Malpractice Claim?

On Behalf of | Jun 10, 2015 | Medical Malpractice

When you initiate a medical malpractice claim, you must have certification from a doctor in the same field that says that your claim is valid and that it’s likely that your doctor violated the standard of care established in that field of medicine. But what other experts are required for a medical malpractice case?

Depending on how and when the standard of care was breached in your case, you may need more than one expert. If a case has multiple defendants, you’ll need to hire an expert to testify in each defendant’s field of expertise. Each expert will need to be able to explain the standard of care in their field and the exact way in which it was neglected in your case.

You may need additional experts to explain causation. Causation is exactly how the breach of the standard of care caused your injury. For example, if you were prescribed the wrong medicine by a family doctor and it caused you to have a stroke, your may need a family doctor to explain the standard of care, a pharmacologist to explain how the medication caused a stroke, and a neurologist to explain the lasting effects of a stroke.

If your injuries are permanent, then you may need a life-care planner to estimate damages in your case. A life-care planner helps predict what kind of care and assistance will be needed in the future, how much it will cost, how much you have lost in wages and ability to work, and what that will cost you over a lifetime.

At Bouchillon, Crossan & Colburn, L.C., our attorneys have more than 35 years dedicated to giving clients the attention, advice, support and empowerment they need to effectively meet their goals. We are committed to the principle that all persons shall have equal justice under the law. If you or a loved one has been injured and is seeking a qualified personal injury attorney, contact our Huntington, West Virginia office to speak with an attorney about your case, or call 304-521-4636.