Our Attorneys Will Fight To Protect Your Rights

Photo of attorney Dunham's sons

Can I Sue my Employer if They are in Another State?

On Behalf of | Dec 31, 2014 | Employment Law

When an employment relationship ends badly, sometimes you can just walk away and try to forget about it. But sometimes you can’t afford to just walk away.

For many employment disputes, the best way to get the money you are owed is to take the matter to court. But what happens when your employer is located in another state? Can you still get what you are owed?

Large, national corporations can generally be sued in any state. But small corporations that have headquarters somewhere other than your state, have no presence in your state and do no business in your state must be sued in the state where they are located.

You can bring a lawsuit against any company that is located anywhere if one of the following conditions applies to your situation:

  • The business injured you or damaged your property in your state.
  • The business breached a contract that was negotiated or was to be performed in your state.
  • The business has a physical facility in your state, such as a branch, warehouse or other facility.
  • The business does business in your state regularly.

The catch in all these situations is that the court papers must be served in your state. If the business has a presence there or does business regularly, that shouldn’t be a problem. But in other cases, that may be more difficult.

If you have been the target of workplace harassment, discrimination or unfair termination, Bouchillon, Crossan & Colburn, L.C. represents clients in federal court and before the EEOC, MSPB and in state and union grievance hearings.

Our attorneys have more than 35 years dedicated to giving clients the attention, advice, support and empowerment they need to effectively meet their goals. We are committed to the principle that all persons shall have equal justice under the law. Call Bouchillon, Crossan & Colburn, L.C. at 304-523-8451 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.