Our Attorneys Will Fight To Protect Your Rights

Photo of attorney Dunham's sons

What Happens at a Personal Injury Deposition?

On Behalf of | Jun 27, 2014 | Personal Injury

When you’ve been injured and you decide to pursue a lawsuit, the process can be daunting. At times, it may even feel like you are on trial. However, the more familiar you are with the process, the less anxiety you will feel. One of the most difficult parts of the process is the deposition.

A deposition is a meeting between both parties’ attorneys, during which the attorneys can ask questions. You are under oath during a deposition, but you are not in court. All parties are allowed to question the witnesses, and your attorney can prepare you, but cannot tell you exactly what to say.

Here are some examples of questions you might be asked at a deposition:

  • Your medical history, any illnesses or injuries you have suffered, either recently or in the past
  • Other lawsuits you have been involved in
  • Your job history
  • If there were witnesses to your accident or injury
  • Your involvement with the insurance company concerning your claim
  • The nature of your accident or injury
  • How you injury has affected your life
  • Your course of treatment

The information learned during the deposition may not be used at trial, with three exceptions. If you say something incriminating, the testimony may be used. The testimony from deposition can also be used if a witness contradicts themselves. Depositions can also be used if a witness is unavailable to appear in court during the trial.

At Bouchillon, Crossan & Colburn, L.C., our attorneys have more than 35 years dedicated to giving clients the attention, advice, support and empowerment they need to effectively meet their goals. We are committed to the principle that all persons shall have equal justice under the law. If you or a loved one has been injured and is seeking a qualified personal injury attorney, contact our Huntington, West Virginia office to speak with an attorney about your case, or call 304-521-4636.